I am 99% sure you will like this Bagel recipe. If not please feel free to reach out to me and tell me what you didn't like and what can be improved. Other than that: Enjoy them with some lovely vegan cheese, or as tomato-avocado Bagel - whatever floats your Boat should be just fine to get you through the day with a good mood 😋.
I'll be honest. It didn't take me long time to come up with this delicious recipe having my working predecessor, the wonderful Vegan Pizza Dough Recipe that originates from the programmer Hendrik Kleinwaechter.
But Bagels are not Pizzas so I had to change some things here and there. A Bagel should come a bit more fluffy and smooth than a Pizza so I decided to add some fat and more yeast. Let's jump into making some awesome Vegan Bagels! 🥯 💖
|Total Time (includes letting the dough rise)||min. 3 hours|
|Baking Time||~15 Minuten|
Stuff you should have
Besides the ingredients it would be quite helpful to have a food/pastry brush. Also a kitchen machine would be helpful but sure thing you can use your power and knead it with your hands.
- 500g Flour, Type 1050 (US: 13-15% Protein)
- 120g Flour, Wholegrain, Type 550 (US: 9-11% Protein, Wholegrain)
- 360g warm water
- A big (!) tablespoon of Margarine
- 15g Salt
- 0.7g Dry Yeast
- 1-2tsp Bread Spices (optional but recommended)
Actually the hardest part about this recipe - just as with most baking recipes is having a bit of patience for the dough to rise and develop 💗
- Mix all ingredients together
- Knead the dough until its one homogenous mass. It shouldn't be very sticky
- Let it rise at room temperature for 30mins
- Stretch the dough and fold it as if it was paper (like really. It sounds ridicolous but folding it will enclose some air in the dough when it rises again)
- Repeat the procedure of rise-then-stretch-and-fold for the next 2 hours (so every 30mins you will stretch and fold the dough)
- This step is optional but if you have the time please do it to enrich the dough: Let the dough rest for 3 hours.
- Cut the dough in 8-10 chunks that each will be a Bagel later
- Stretch and Fold each of the chunks again and draw the dough to the bottom center as if you wanted to cover the inside of your dough chunk with itself 🤓
- Adjust the chunks to form circles
- Take glass or similiar to cut a big whole into the dough chunks to get into bagel-shape 
- Let the chunks rise for 30mins
- Put a little bit of plantmilk (2tbsp) into a small cupit to coat the bagels with a pastry brush
- Add the topping of your choice (evergreen: sesame seeds) on the coated Bagels
- Bake at 190°C (374 °F) for ~20mins until gold-brown
- Let the Bagels cooldown (do not immediately cut them since they do the rest of the baking process outside of the oven whilst they are still hot)
- Enjoy 🥯🥑🥰
 The hole of the bagel can be rather big since the dough will grow to 2x the size in the oven so if the hole is too small it will simply just seal itself.
Good to know
In general within a timespan of 24 hours you can play around with being even more patient to achieve an even more perfect dough. E.g. let it rise for multiple hours after 4 rise-and-stretch-and-fold sessions. Just make sure the air doesn't dry out the dough making it a dry clunky big chunk 😊